There are many techniques in achieving maximum relaxation. These techniques can lessen stress, and help you fully enjoy your life even when you are ill. Relaxation techniques are a great form of stress management. One advantage of it is that it reduces stress on your body and mind. It helps you deal with daily stress and other stress related problems such as pain and sickness.
You can take advantage of relaxation techniques even if your stress has subsided or still in its worst condition. There are easy basic techniques that you must learn to enjoy relaxation. These techniques may have a small cost or no cost at all and may create a slight risk but can be done almost anywhere. Following the easy techniques of relaxation can help you get started to fully release stress
If you have lots of tasks and responsibilities both at home and on work or if your disease is giving you more demands, relaxation techniques can help you so much. Relaxation technique can also give you health benefits. It can help you lessen stress:
- It slows down your heart rate
- It lowers your blood pressure
- It slows down your breathing rate
- It increases blood flow towards your major muscles
- It reduces chronic pain and muscle tension
- It improves concentration
- It reduces frustration and anger
- It boosts confidence in handling problems
Relaxation techniques can be more effective when done together with other positive activities such as getting enough sleep, exercise, and supporting friends and loved ones.
Health experts like psychotherapists and doctors, alternative and complementary health practitioners, know different kinds of relaxation techniques. You can also discover some methods by yourself.
Generally, the techniques involve in relaxation involves refocusing your mind onto a calming situation to increase awareness in your body. The type of technique does not matter for as long as you do relaxation frequently to achieve benefits.
There kinds of relaxation techniques are
- Autogenic relaxation. This type of relaxation Autogenic means something that happens within you. In this technique, you are using your visual imagery in cooperation with body awareness in reducing stress. You are saying words within your mind over and over again while reducing muscle tension. An example is when you are imagining a calm environment and then you start to focus on relaxing your breathing making your heart rate slower or by feeling various sensations given the calm environment like stretching your legs and hands.
- Progressive muscle technique. This relaxation technique helps you in focusing slowly on tensing and then trying to relax every muscle group. This technique helps you in focusing on the distinction between relaxation and muscle tension. You are becoming more conscious of bodily sensations. Another technique of progressive muscle relaxation is by starting to tense and relax the muscles in your feet particularly on the toes and then work your way up to your head. Alternatively, you can start from the head going down if you want. Stress your muscles for 5 secs. and then loosen up for 30 secs. Do this repeatedly.
- Visualization. This relaxation technique, mental images are formed in taking an imaginary travel to a calming and peaceful situation or place. During the mental picture, use as many senses as you can such as touch, sound, sight and smell. If you are imagining a relaxing moment at the beach, for example, imagine such things as the sound of waves, smell of salt water, and the heat of the sun touching your body. You can close your eyes and sit somewhere quiet and then loosen your tight clothing.
Other common relaxation techniques include:
- Tai chi
As you practice techniques of relaxation techniques, you will be more responsive of muscle tension and other stress factors. If you are fully aware of this, you can now do relaxation techniques when you feel stress. The techniques use in relaxation is one’s skills and this can be improved if done regularly. Be tolerant of yourself and do not allow your endeavors to add to your stressor. Try a relaxation technique that will work for you. Talk to your physician about other alternatives if you think that these techniques do not work for you.